Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Biscuits... Like a Baws

 Why do biscuits from a can taste so good? Things from a can are supposed to be not-good.
Am I right?
Biscuits have always been my evil nemesis when it comes to baking. They always turn out hard like icky buttery rocks and, I hate to say, I'd rather just open up a can of biscuit whoop ass and put those babies in the oven than try to do it myself.
But no more! Today I actually made decently good biscuits. Turns out, it's easy!
The trick is, the dough needs to be wet and handled gently.
No yeast. No rolling. No kneading.

I'm not going to re-type the entire recipe with directions here, but you can find this in Bakewise under 'Touch of Grace' Southern Style Biscuits.

Kayso, of course I did things my way. I don't own self-rising flour or buttermilk. According to the Internet, you can add a bit of melted butter to milk to make Buttermilk (go fig?) and self-rising flour is simply flour with baking powder added to it. So methinks... I can do this.



The first batch was too wet. Made biscuits smaller since the batter was so wet (do they mean large or small curd cottage cheese? when they say soupy, does that mean still lumpy?). Also by melting the butter and adding it to the milk, the milk was WARM where it should be cold which may have contributed to the over-wetness of the dough. 
Very nice flavor though, and I can use these experimental ones for biscuits and gravy!
Useful Lesson #1: 'Like cottage cheese' means the dough is just really sticky (not soupy)
Useful Lesson #2: Make 'buttermilk' 10-15 minutes early and refrigerate to achieve coldness.

The second batch was better. But still too thick, not enough lift to biscuits. Not sure if I added enough baking powder to flour. Try again with two teaspoons instead of one.
Useful Lesson #3: You can make your own 'self rising flour', but pay attention to ratio of flour to baking powder.

The Third Time will of course be 'the charm' but I ran out of cream and I don't have any money until next paycheck.
Useful Lesson #4: Be sure you have enough ingredients for several batches. 

Sorry for the (insert dramatic music) Cliffhanger!!! >.<

No comments:

Post a Comment